The aim of the Department of Life Science is to impart quality education to students, prepare them for new research challenges and to
encourage the kind of technology which works towards the betterment of society. The department ensures that students who have completed the
course have the necessary skills to enter the Biotechnology job sector. The courses offered include Molecular Biology, Industrial Microbiology and
Plant Biotechnology - all of which can be applied to the fields of agriculture and animal / marine technology - as well as Medical Biotechnology,
which has tremendous potential for drug development. The department has a well-equipped laboratory with modern equipment. which enables the
students to carry out basic research activities under the guidance of the faculty The lab provides the students with an ideal platform for
inter-disciplinary research and facilitates interaction between faculty and students.
The three-month Research Project, taken up in the final semester under the guidance of the faculty, enables the students to put their knowledge to use and to hone their analytical and reasoning skills. The Dissertation and viva voce pave the way for future doctoral research. The department regularly organizes guest lectures by eminent scientists from Research Institutes to provide exposure in research areas. Field visits to Industrial and Research Institutes are regularly arranged. Students present papers to their fellow students as part of the activities of the departmental Journal Club. Students also attend intercollegiate seminars where they present papers and posters.
- The students represent college in various extra curricular activities at both collegiate and intercollegiate competitions.
- They are encouraged to participate in Seminars/Symposia conducted in the city.
- They are motivated to make models and charts for the department using their imagination and creativity.
- The members of the Staff are continuously involved in Faculty Improvement Programmes, Seminars, Symposia, Workshops and relevant Research activities.
- The Department arranges Field trips/Study tours to support the curriculum.